• Fences, while best, are not always practical either financially or due to building code restrictions
• Rosa Rugosa Roses are full, larger growing hedge shrubs with terrible thorns sure to keep out children and adults alike.
• Red barberry is a lower growing shrub that produces thorns that will deter people. Russian Olive is another extremely thorny plant, but it may be banned in some areas.
• Lattice panels can be secured upright or long ways to form an open fence-type barrier. Vines can be planted to grow up the panels such as Bignonia Tangerine Beauty or English Ivy.
• Set up motion activated sprinklers.
• Don’t forget the “Private Property – No Trespassing” signs placed in plain sight.
For more ideas on planting for privacy visit Greenwood Nursery.