Tips to reduce summer watering and still keep plants alive!
- Mulch around plants with shredded bark mulch, aged compost mix or aged manure mix.
- If you can't mulch large areas, spread a good layer of straw (not hay as it generally houses weed seeds).
- Hoeing the ground around the plants brings moisture closer to the grounds surface for the plants.
- Plant perennials closer together to shade the ground.
- Use soaker hoses where needed instead of overhead watering.
- When watering with a garden hose, water only the ground around the base of the plant - not the leaves on the plant.
- Water late evening or early morning only.
- Hold off any fertilize applications until the weather is cooler or it rains as plants will be less stressed.
Apply these tips and summer watering will go smoothly!