This is the time of year, most of us become disillusioned with our lawns. Water, aerate, water, re-seed, water, fertilize, then repeat and that doesn’t include the mowing. It’s a never ending cycle. Customers send emails wanting to know how they can forget the grass and have something that is just not as time consuming.
Well...there are lawn options and planning is a must or you will be the neighborhood poster yard for weeds. Ground cover plants, ornamental grasses and perennials are popular, but we have more ideas.
Here are a few ideas for lawn-free yard substitutes:
- Cutting flower garden
- Artificial grass (don’t laugh, it is being used quite often)
- Spreading perennials
- Landscape Pavers
- Heavily chipped mulch
- Pea gravel
Here are more ideas with pictures should you decide to go lawnless in the future. Lawn Substitutes.
Check out Ground Cover Plants at Greenwood Nursery.
- Landscaping Tips for Shady Lawns (groundskeeper.mlblogs.com)
- The Case Against the American Front Lawn (apartmenttherapy.com)
- Creating a Waterwise Landscape (realestatecamdenmaine.wordpress.com)
- Landscaping around Decks, Patios and Porches (gardeningwithcheryl.com)
- Selecting and Planting Ground Cover Plants (gardeningwithcheryl.com)
We hope you have enjoyed our article on Ground Cover Plants as Lawn Substitutes.